21 December 2020

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year for 2021

Merry Christmas Pittsworth Qld to EVERYONE.


What a year 2021 has turned out to be.
So, since our last blog, Darryl has built an above ground garden in the back yard and it contains 5 tons of garden soil.  
 
 

We have had two crops of baby beets, unlimited crops of silverbeet, carrots and spring onions and not long started harvesting tomatoes. We have had little gem lettuces and currently have bell peppers and capsicums growing.  There are some pumpkin plants coming up and a couple of chilli plants also.
I have had a little success with growing dahlias from seed.  The photo on the packet had ball shaped dahlias but the ones that grew were quite small and flat.
  

  

I have joined the Dahlia Society and a member from Toowoomba is going to come out in the new year and advise us on the best place to plant the dahlias for 2021.
Our dear friend, Gloria, gave us a whole lot of Irises and they were planted in August.  Unfortunately the very hot weather and the hot winds, have played havoc with them and they seem to have demised.  I have been told to 'not give up on them yet', so will leave the dead leaves where they currently are and hope that they re-sprout in the coming weeks.
We have a beautifully fragrant deep red rose on the front fence and unfortunately, the hot winds have played havoc with the flowers here also.  
  
The very small rose near the house has plenty of foliage but as yet, has not produced buds or flowered.
We have had amazing succulent plants in the garden, which unfortunately succumbed to the hot weather and winds in early December.  
 

 


The carob tree, in the yard next door, provides lots of filtered light along our northern boundary and the succulents in pots, are flourishing there.  We have been told that the tree is 150 years old.
 Darryl is planning a succulent garden for this area.
We have been making some small changes within the home and are settling in well.
I am getting back into my sewing and attempting to use up my fabric stash [that has been in storage for the past 7 years] and participate in the Sew Creative TM [Tamborine Mountain] on the last Sunday of each month.  I am also enjoying going to the Pittsworth Crafty Quilters of a Tuesday and am learning lots of different sewing techniques.  I am also learning to sew with vinyl [various varieties] and waxed fabrics.  I am also learning to make different types of bags - all functional but some hold more personal items or utensils and equipment for weaving or sewing.
 this is the Japanese Wedding panel and was sent to me by my Penfriend, Yoko, about 20 years ago.  I have finally layered it, quilted it and it is hanging above our bed.

 I was also busy like many others and making masks for family and friends.


 My first attempt at making a clutch purse.

 a small tray made for Darryl for his chair-side table to put his 'things' in.

  A collection of coffee clutches.

 ' Sew together bag'  made with my dear friend Anne-Marie

 A pouch made for my friend, Sarah, who helped me with the Waybarra Mawang [Weaving all Together] classes at the State School.
next is my latest bag - the Crafter's Caddy [pattern by Little Moo Designs].

 


 
I have also attended a 'Resin' workshop for a young lady - Maddy - who is just starting her own business called 'Drippy'.  https://drippy.com.au/
 
It is a long and quite messy process but the trays at the end are lovely.  Once you have put your resin on, you have to leave it to set for 24 hours before you move it.  Thankfully our hostess, Anne-Marie, has an area where that is possible.
I have also joined the Pittsworth History Centre and the Pioneer village and do my day or two each month.  They are a great bunch of people who volunteer to be at the village open it up when needed.  The village is open Thursday and Friday from 10am to 1pm and then on Sunday from 10am to 2pm.
The village also takes bookings for special events and will be open on January 26th for the Citizens of the Year presentations.

I continued with my Wiradjuri language course via Microsoft Teams program on my computer and in November I was able to travel to Dubbo to attend the Graduation ceremony.  I was also able to present my 'major' project to all the dignitaries and have been told that it will be hung in the main foyer of the Yarradamarra Education Centre at TAFE Dubbo.
My major was a woven replica of the logo of the Western Districts TAFE - which is an Echidna.
 
As part of this 'major' I also had to produce a PowerPoint presentation with audio in language [which was presented at the graduation ceremony] and also produced two Student Guides to enable students to do their own weaving by following the written and pictorial instructions.
 Graduands from Certificate 2 and Certificate 1.

 With our Graduation 2020 Covid-19 Masks
 With Auntie Iris Reid, who will be putting the weaving up in the main foyer of the Yarradamarra Centre.

I was also a participant in the inaugural Indigenous Artisans Market in Toowoomba and it was a very special and amazing day.  Networking with fellow artisans was brilliant.  The organisers are hoping to have more markets throughout 2021 - so everyone is now madly attempting to work more product to make them even more successful.
 

Darryl and I are currently in Wagga Wagga visiting family and keeping an ear on what is happening with the current Covid-19 Cluster in the Northern Beaches area of Sydney.  We have just applied for our re-entry passes into Queensland - so fingers crossed we will be back in Pittsworth about the 3rd of January 2021.

May EVERYONE have a safe and Happy Christmas and may 2021 be a far better year for all of us.


No comments:

Post a Comment